“Stand therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist…”
The first piece of armor we’re told to have in place, is truth like a belt about our waist, or as some versions word it, “having girded your loins” with truth. I’ve been taking some time to think about what to write about this piece of armor. There is a lot of teaching on this Ephesians 6 passage from the angle of ‘armor’ – which is of a course a terrific ‘picture’ example given to help us remember each piece that we need. But I want to go more simply, starting with Truth.
The whole basic foundation of Christianity is faith/belief. But it is extremely vital that what we are believing in and standing upon is actually truth. There are many, many lies that we are presented with by the devil and the world systems, as well as counterfeits for the real thing, that too many of us fall to way too often. Unless we know what is true first, we may very well not recognize a lie for what it is. Like I’ve heard it told, bank tellers are trained with real money. They get so used to working with what is the real deal, that when the counterfeit comes, it sticks out like a sore thumb. That’s how familiar we need to be with the truth.
This is the very reason why we need to be in the Word of God, worship and prayer and in relationship with God on a regular basis. We will never know fully the truth of His Word or Who He is unless we are. When we have a truth, and the devil comes at us with a lie, we’ll know something’s up. Even when it comes subtly. The devil’s quite crafty and knows too well how to twist even the truth just a smidgen to pull someone in and get them to start questioning. He did it to Eve! ‘Did God really say…?’
There are some basic truths we need in place in order to stand strong in the midst of even the most adverse winds and shakings. The Truth of who God is, Who we are and what Jesus did. They are pretty much the foundational pieces that we need for all other layers, and yes there are layers of Truth. The further along in this journey we go, the more we get to know God, the more truth we are equipped with. As I was looking at the pieces of armor in the passage before beginning this post, I realized that Truth really is the foundational piece for all the other pieces of armor. All the pieces use or need truth to truly be effective!
So just for starters, here’s some pretty basic truth statements to start the equipping:
- God is all-knowing, all-seeing, and is all and everywhere present. No, He doesn’t miss a thing; you can’t possibly pull a fast one, or hide anything from Him. And even try as we might, we can’t hide ourselves from Him.
- God is, as He told Moses after he asked Him to show him His Glory: “The LORD passed in front of Moses, calling out,
“Yahweh! The LORD!
The God of compassion and mercy!
I am slow to anger
and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. (NLT)
- God is Good – ALL the time, His motives are pure and His ways are just. Even when we don’t like it.
- God IS LOVE –
He who doesn’t love doesn’t know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:8 (HNV)
- Since He IS Love – YOU are LOVED!!! Always, forever, no matter what. Run straight to Him and let Him love, forgive and heal you.
- Jesus, the Son of God and Son of Man, is our Savior, our Deliverer, our Healer and much, much much more. He accomplished it ALL on the Cross.
- Holy Spirit will lead and guide us into all truth; makes intercession for us, with us and through us and moves in, through and among us today.
- Mankind was made in God’s image. So that means you look like your Daddy.
- There is a whole lot more of Kingdom life available for us to walk in NOW here on the earth than most of us know.
- GOD is WAY bigger, stronger and smarter than the devil and his cohorts. Satan is already defeated and continues to be as we walk this out.
- Heaven and Hell and the eternal lake of fire are real. CHOOSE LIFE!!! Choose Jesus!!!